Rotary E-Club of San Diego Global
STEAM MAKER Workshop (4619 Mission Gorge Pl)
Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:00-8:00pm
Attendees: Alan Rezner, Jim Willis, David Ballesteros, Amy Vegter, Brian Alvara, Tricia Hunter, Blake Stock, Amanda Roussell, Scot Sargeant, Maureen Duncan, Janet Mikelson, Marian P.
Online Post Recap: Rio Olympics, big thanks to Warwick Manfrinato for getting us all to engage in a very vivid post. (Members that contributed to post: Amy Schrift, Maureen Duncan, Amy Vegter, Jim Willis, Susan Rezner, Blake Stock, Scot Sargeant, Tricia Hunter)
Meeting Recap: Special thanks to Brian Alvara for hosting and showing us his fantastic workshop along with all of the innovations he is leading to help children through science and mathematical education programs. His video to be posted on our facebook page. For those abroad please view, and add a comment or question.
Upcoming local Volunteer Opportunities:
- La Mesa Sunrise Rotary Club (LMSR): Halloween Fundraiser, Saturday Oct. 29 6:30pm-10pm– we have been invited to partner with them on this fundraiser; the event will be held at a Zumba Studio which will be transformed into a Halloween Party, filled with games, food and drinks. Tickets are $25 and will include entrance, food and two drinks. Helpers are needed for various shifts (clean up, set-up, gift item donations, ticket collections, run games, serve drinks, etc) LMSR will let us keep 100% of the ticket sales we sell and donate additional funds to our club contingent upon our participation in running the event. Our members in attendance voted yes, a sign-up sheet for those willing to help will be sent out shortly.
- Train for Change will be hosting two fundraisers the month of September, helpers are needed! As full disclosure these funds will not be part of the Vocational Teacher Training Grant sponsored by our club. However, fundraisers are necessary to keep the program alive in the meantime. Education is power, and these kids need our help! You can be a part of the Train for Change by helping on…
September 4th Rancho Bernardo Community Park 9am-5pm at the Central American Festival;Volunteers will help Maxie monitor the bouncy house onsite, sell tickets, waters, and clean up.
September 30th “Baila para la Causa” (Dance for a Cause) at World Beat Center 2100 Park Blvd 8-11pm Presale $15, at the door tickets will be $20. Maxie will need help promoting this event with our circles as well as helping set up, monitor entrance, run drinks booth, etc.
(A google docs file found as an attachment to this message has the sign up sheet for shifts) Please if you can help sign up or help sell pre sale tickets!
Planning a Fundraiser in the near future…
Harlem Ambassadors April 6, 7, 8 could help us by running a basketball game/show for charity. Upfront costs are steep for our club, Del Mar club in the past had a successful fundraiser with them, will seek more advice, but take a pass this tie around.
Other option we will consider-
- Online Auction- Maureen pointed out it is easier, affordable and not much goes into putting one together, Amanda added that we could sell jewelry or hand-made products
Past Rotary Event Updates:
- August 6th- Feed for America was a District 5340 success, many members from around San Diego joined in filing and sorting food boxes that would be delivered to low income families (Members in attendance: Amy Vegter, Janet Mikelson, Alan and Susan Rezner, Scot Sargeant, and Marian Pavlovich) pictures to be found on facebook
- August 16th- District Council, SD Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman gave an outstanding presentation on her background, and public safety. (Members in attendance: Susan and Alan Rezner, Marian Pavlovich, and Scot Sargeant)
International Trip Opportunity:
Ecuador, Cuenca (UNESCO site) Feria del Rotario November 11, 12, 13th
Members travelling from San Diego will have the chance to meet our members in
Ecuador: Tania Guncay, Adriana Alarcon, Gianella Serrano, and Lisseth Vega.
Along with discussing and possibly visiting damaged Earthquake sites.
(Preliminary trip planning meeting to be held at 8:30am this Saturday, August 20th at
Mimi’s Cafe in Mission Valley)
- Second August online post coming soon… Tricia Hunter will be presenting information regarding our District Global Grant: Smiles International
- Next face-to-face meeting, Blake Stock will be presenting on his experience living in China, he will give us close insights and observations. Meeting time and location TBD.Optional District 5340 Opportunities, also found on rotary5340.org website:
- Networking Event- Thursday, August 25th 5:30-8pm 1024 Isabella Ave, Coronado, CA ($10 to attend, covers food and drink)
- 30 years of Women in Rotary Tea Party- Sunday, September 25th 2:30-5pm Westgate Hotel ($62 to attend)
- Foundation Seminar- Saturday, October 8th at 8:30am-12pm